KDPS-TV was put on the air by the Des Moines Indpendent School District in 1959. The station operated on channel 11 from the Des Moines Technical High School Building (now Central Campus) at 18th and Grand Ave. The channel 11 transmitting antenna is still mounted on the tower.
One of the most popular programs on KDPS-TV was the after school "KaDiPus Club." Like many children's programs of the time, they offered official memberships to the loyal viewers. Young Cal Bierman was one of those "KaDiPus Club" members.
In 1969, channel 11 was sold to Iowa Pubic Broadcasting and the call letters changed to KDIN-TV.
Courtesy of Cal Bierman
Des Moines TV Stations page
DesMoinesBroadcasting.com home page